Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Gangs of New York (Movie)

Last night, I watched that movie. I am doing a research paper on the gangs of New York in the mid- nineteenth century. To get a quick idea about what it was like, my brother-in-law suggested I watch it. What I did NOT expect was a horrifyingly uncivilized version of the now very chic state/city. People can just go around killing each other for no reason, without any punishment. It's crazy! Leonardo DiCaprio was very cute in it though (=

I did enjoy the storyline, though. However, for my paper, I'm not going to be writing about the movie. I have to tell of the scary bloodshed, racism, immigration, and such. Why did I choose this topic...

If you are interested in blood, gore, with a bit of romance and sex, I highly recommend this movie.

It is based on the book, The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld by Herbert Asbury.
Buy the book:
Buy the movie:

No comments: